Tuesday, October 18, 2011

KISS (Keep It Short & Simple)




KISS according to wikipedia , was coined by Kelly Johnson, lead engineer at the Lockheed Skunk Works.
But Kelly Johnson translates it as "Keep it simple, stupid".


So why about talking about KISS? Because what happened last friday. An ex-colleague of mine asked for my help on something that I was supposed to finish (my bad..) before I left the company. An end user was asking for something to be done ASAP because it has been pending for 3~4 weeks before I left(?? can't remember)


The end user was asking it to be done on the same day she mentioned this request to my ex-colleague. My ex-colleague was searching high and low to solve this problem.


Let me explain what is the problem. The end user has an Excel files which stores the date of when the system (that should I've created..again.. my bad ) will email a handful of users that they should update a certain file. 


The dates are usually every 15th day in each month. So I suggested to my ex-colleague, that she should try to persuade the user, why not use Outlook instead to remind the users instead?


Why not just configure these users (probably around 6 persons) to have a reminder in their Outlook on these period that they should update this specific file. It's easy enough to be done in one day , since the users are probably in the same building. Furthermore, the users probably have VNC installed, so there's no need to go to their office to configure the reminders.It could be done remotely. 


But instead, the user still insists on creating a program / system for the purpose reminding these users via email.


aihh.......


Sometimes end users are just finicky.  


So far for KISS. Well , the next thing you want to complicate things on your hand, remember this, 
Keep it simple, stupid!

No comments: